Three-way data - serial
Requirements for this data format are:
- The data file should have 5 columns, representing 1) tester (e.g., test environment), 2) block (replicate), 3) entry (e.g., genotype), 4) trait, and 5) measured value for the trait, respectively.
- The first row is the header, containing the names of the columns, namely, 1) "Tester name", 2) "Block name", 3) "Entry name", and 4) "Trait name" , and 5) "Value". The end of the header should be indicated by the word "End" if the file is in text format.
- Each subsequent row contains a single observation (a data point), and the 5 columns are for 1) the tester name, 2) the block (replication) name, 3) the entry name, 4) trait name, and 5) measured values, respectively.
- The data do not have to be balanced in terms of entry by tester combinations. The number of blocks can differ for different testers.
- Missing cells can be indicated by anything except that it cannot be left empty for text files.
Here is an example: